Garry Disher: Under the Cold Bright Lights, c format paperback, Profile Books, 16. July pub date
Garry Disher is considered the king of the Australian noir crime novel. I am a big fan of his Paul Hirsch mysteries but his stand alone novels are all excellent. Under the Cold Bright Lights being his latest, has a very unusual twist I did not expect, first feeling ambivalent about it but decided it is actually a brilliant change in the plot, will not reveal more as it would ruin the reading.
The protagonist of the novel, Sergeant Alan Auhl, a retired homicide cop, decides retirement is too boring for him and has now joined the cold case unit. There are a lot of details with the cold cases and characters to keep tabs on as a reader but the major shift comes from Auhl himself and that's all I will say. Coming in July, a great holiday mystery with very likeable characters.

No comments:
Post a Comment