Thursday, July 30, 2026

 Maggie O'Farrell: Land, Tinder Press, large paperback


"Land" is probably my favorite literary read of the year so far, what a magnificent novel. I read it in episodes, I had to take breaks a few times as I  literarly felt the weight and cruelty of life in 1865 Ireland and what it ment for Tomas and his family, after the great hunger, but still casting its shadow on everyone's existence.

O' Farrell's imagination is extraordinary, the story of Tomas and his wife Phina, Liam, their oldest boy who turns against his father, Enda, the willful, gifted eldest daughter, sweet Rose and Eugene, who cannot speak but has special abilities, it's such a vivid, at times magical tale as one follows their heartbreaking and difficult life path, it completely swallowed me while I was reading and is still in my head now.  It's a book about hardship, tragedy, bravery but mostly about love and resilience, absolutely loved it.


No comments:

Post a Comment